Friday, February 17, 2006

Footballers are human too ...

Well some of them anyway. It's quite funny to see the difference in the way some of these guys run their lives. You have the family man, get's his head down, has a couple of kids, a mock tudor mansion in Southport, a wife that enjoys botox. You have the playboy, out partying, likes Rn'B ... has a funny haircut ... then you have the undercover lover. But I'm not covering that hear. If you hit certain clubs in London, you can always find a footballer or two. When I used to go to the Spot you could always bump into Andrew Cole, David Howells, Jody Morris, and a few parties I've seen Stevie Watts, Ashley Cole, Carlton Cole, Jon Fortune, Peter Crouch. All mates together. But where does that leave our family man. Well it leaves him vunerable, soul searching ... unsure of himself. Why you might ask? Why?

Well I'll tell you.

Do you think that Ashley Cole is bothered about the Chelsea tapping up reports. Do you think that if Jon Fortune is sitting onthe bench one Saturday he is bothered about playing or bothered about when he can get away to hook up with his "spars"? Are any of them bothered about what the average supporter thinks? What the average supporter says? Or average supporter does? Of course not, they get their money, they go out and get laid.

But the family man is bothered. Take one Radostin Kishishev. Well below is an interesting email from one Charlton fan Richard Hunt. Our man in Prague who emails regularily to the pink oboe list.

"Some of you know that Radostin Kishishev arrived at Charlton thanks in large part to the work of my Bulgarian Toronto based friend, Vasco Danailov, a process which started when Vasco and I met him at Euro 96 in Newcastle. Vasco has stayed in contact with Kish ever since.
Yesterday Vasco called me, having just had a conversation with a somewhat distraught Kish. He had called Vasco desperate for someone to advise him why the Charlton fans dont like him. Vasco sees a lot of games on TV but promised he would ask me for a more informed view.
Not for the first time this season I found myself asking whether Charlton is still the club so dear to my heart or indeed the one Kish joined, but that wasnt much use to him. So I told him that based on this list, I could state that 70-80% of fans actually do appreciate Kish, and the debate has raged about why a minority get on his back.
I told him my opinion was that he is the midfielder who always makes himself available for the ball, and never hides; and that most of the work he does is of necessity relatively unglamorous. Its not the kind of work which elicits spontaneous applause - unlike the kind of passes or space making cameos we got from Murphy or Jensen. However because of his position, any mistake he makes is often in a critical zone, and this elicits howls of disapproval. So that is what he hears. No cheers, just boos. I repeated that most of the people on the List know he sweats blood for the team each week, and hate the fact that he is booed by a minority. But I felt appalled by what I had heard.
I realise that most of the idiots who boo and jeer him that dont go near this List. Those who criticise Kish on the List are entitled to wish that he perhaps might make less mistakes, or that we could afford one that does what he does better ( despite the frequent reminders that we could not afford to re-sign Parker).
However here is stark evidence that footballers are human too, and what we have in the treatment of Kish is in my opinion a form of bullying. He is a thoroughly decent guy, family man, looks after himself, and does not rearrange McDonalds or fight teammates. And he has worn the shirt with pride for six years. He urgently needs a lift. I urge anybody who feels like I do to let Kish know. You could just drop a line to Vasco directly at
danailov_vv@yahoo.com
and Vasco would call Kish and read out any messages he gets. Nothing long. But the more there are, the more he will believe in it.
Me I am going to vote for Kish for player of the year."

Well there you have it. Who would you rather have in your team Kish or Murphy. In an ideal world Kish, but the world isn't full of fluffy clouds and egg hunts at Easter. I have no problem with Radostan Kishishev. He is a good player. He runs, he harries, he tackles ... he gives the ball away. All in a days work. But sometimes he needs to be given a rest. Not his fault, but Curbs. There's no booing for Rad from me, but sometimes just sometimes you need to take a player out of the firing line and put an arm round him. How must Jason Euell be thinking?

My tune of the day: Love Is On The Way - Louis Vega (Elements of Life)

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com : images (c) historypicks.com